Sunday, July 24, 2016

Coloring on Adhesive Fabric

Hello everyone!!  In the spirit of the 30 Day Coloring Challenge hosted by the uber fabulous Kathy Rac from The Daily Marker,  I thought I would share my latest colouring project!!

I had this 6x6 Adhesive Fabric Paper pad for sometime now and was never quite sure how to use it.  Today, I decided to experiment a bit.


I chose a stamp set from The Ton Stamps called Happiest of Peonies.  It's a beautiful image.  I used my MISTI for the stamping because of the texture of the fabric.  I used Ranger Jet Black Archival Ink because I wasn't sure what medium I was going to use or rather, what medium was going to work!


I used a small corner to test a few mediums out..

The red mark is an alcohol marker (quite a bit of bleeding), the light green is a watercolour pencil with water (again, some bleeding) and the dark green is 3 different shades of green watercolour pencil blended with water.  Of course, I knew there was going to be some bleeding, it is fabric after all!!  I decided not to use water at all, just pencils.  I stuck with the watercolour pencils because I already had them out!


First of all, pencils blend fabulously on this!! No multiple layers needed.  I used medium to hard pressure with one layer.  As you turn the image to color, you get different textures as the fibres of the material start to pull, it is so cool!!


I chose purple as my other color.


To make the image pop a little bit, I added a grey outline, then used the white pencil to blend it out...which worked amazingly!!

Now here is where things went awry :)  It all started when I die cut the image.


As you can see, it did not cut all the way through, with two passes.  This was really not a big deal to me.  I just used a craft knife to cut away any spots that were not completely cut.  I had already die cut a panel for me to place this image on, so I removed the release paper and...Wow, is this stuff thin!!  Which why am I surprised, it's FABRIC!!  So my advice to you, is if this is for a card, do not remove the adhesive backing!!

Oh, how I tried to adhere this toilet paper thin piece of material straight, it just did not work, at all.  So,  I die cut a frame to fit over my image and decided to adhere that on top. Well, as I had already removed the release paper, my fabric was wanting to stick to everything. Now add a layer of liquid glue to the front and I had one sticky mess. But I persevered. And thankfully so.


I love the way this coloring looks on this fabric.  It really is quite artsy-looking. Also very vintage looking.
I do want to try this with both alcohol markers and watercolour, but I'm guessing I won't get these kind of results on the first try:)


Thank you for stopping by and reading my extra long story today!  I truly appreciate it!

Laurie





2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh - this looks just like something I would love to try - you know I love a good texture on cards - it does give a good texture, doesn't it? It looks fabulous and the colouring with the pencils is really beautiful. You've managed to get some gorgeous blending going. Had to laugh though at your tale of it sticking to everything...... But I'm glad you persevered. It's beautiful! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, you HAVE to try this. The photos really don't do it justice. I know you'd love it!! Thanks so much for your endless support, hugs!!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Featured Post

Patterned Paper and Coloured Cardstock

Hey friends and welcome! I wanted to share a fun shaped card with you using dies from Pretty Pink Posh and Scrapbook.com ! I've been a l...